Saturday 18 June 2011

Lessons learned….

We have only been in Nepal for a few days and already I have realized how many things I take for granted both as a medical student and a Canadian. Nepal is an amazing country rich in history, culture, and kind people. It is the differences between Vancouver and Nepal that have helped me gain a better appreciation for my hometown Vancouver, as well as my new home away from home, Nepal.

The following are only of few things that have struck me over the past few days:

1) Water: According to my discussions with our local hosts as well as my travel books, water shortages are a chronic problem in Nepal. Of the water that is available, many of our resources have told us not to drink the tap water, which is a drastic change from Vancouver, where I’m now appreciating that not only do I take the clean running water in my tap for granted, I also use it too liberally.

2) Electricity: Electricity cuts (“load shedding”) are a fact of life here in Nepal, where electricity is rationed from city to city. Again, this is a stark contrast to our lives in Vancouver where on the rare occasion that electricity is cut, perhaps due to a tree that has fallen on a power line, I find myself frantically searching for my flashlight or a candle as well as not knowing what to do with myself without a cell phone, computer or tv. Thankfully, the Nepalis have taught us how to appreciate electricity when we do have it and to not take it for granted. Although I can’t say I’ve experienced the load shedding to a significant degree I have experienced the less than ideal wireless. I wouldn’t say I’m addicted to my wifi but perhaps I am severely dependent and may be experiencing a slight withdrawal…

3) Fortification of food: Today, we attended a lecture regarding the importance of Vitamin A in health. Vitamin A is a critical micronutrient that has a number of functions in maintaining our health, including vision and child development. In developing countries such as Nepal, Vitamin A deficiency is a reality due to malnutrition. What some of us living in Canada may not realize is that this is not a major concern in our country because we have regulations that ensure our food is fortified with important nutrients including Vitamin A. Today, we learned that in Nepal fortification is challenging because many individuals in rural communities are living off their land and do not access processed foods. Luckily, there are a variety of initiatives currently underway to develop sustainable solutions to this public health problem.

4) As a medical student, I have realized that I have been taking the notes packages that are prepared for me, my textbooks, and other resources for granted. Although they may not have the same materialistic resources that a UBC student may have access to, my time here in PAHS has made me realize students here are flooded with what I believe makes a great medical program: supportive faculty, passionate professors, and driven students, just like home.

5) Family and friends: Having been living in a hole studying for exams over the past few months, and then promptly leaving to fly across the globe, I have realized that I take my friends and family for granted. Thankfully, I am travelling with some of the most wonderful friends a girl could ask for, and I have landed in a country where everyone has made me feel like a long time friend, or even family.


No comments:

Post a Comment